Action Now Initiative Privacy Notice
Updated: December 1, 2022
Introduction and Scope
At Action Now Initiative (“ANI,” “we,” “our,” or “us”), we understand and respect your need for privacy. This Privacy Notice (“Notice”) describes how we collect, use, process, share, store, and delete personal information we have about you; what rights and choices you may have with respect to your information; how you may contact us; and how we protect your personal information when you:
- Visit Action Now Initiative website, https://www.actionnowinitiative.org/ (our “Site”);
- Engage in the educational initiatives and call-to-action campaigns organized by ANI or use other related applications offered by ANI (collectively, “Services”); and/or
- Interact with us in any way, including providing your information in our opt-in contact form, engaging with our advertisements, providing testimonials or stories for campaigns, participating in surveys, or registering for, attending, or otherwise partaking in our events (collectively, “Marketing Activities”).
Information We Collect
The information that we collect depends on the context of your interactions with us and the choices that you make, your location, and applicable law. The sub-sections below describe the information we collect about you and how we collect it. We only retain information for so long as it may be relevant for the purposes identified in this Policy unless a longer period of time is required by law.
A. Information You Provide Directly to Us
We collect the following information directly from you when you use our Site and/or Services:
Contact information – You provide us with your contact information when you enter information in our opt-in contact form. This information may include your full name, email address, physical address (including zip code), and phone number.
- Professional information – You provide us with your professional information, including your company name and industry, when you attend our events.
- Testimonial information – You may choose to provide a story or testimonial through our Site or Services. This information may include your (full or partial) name, zip code, as well as your opinions or perspectives.
- Interest areas – You provide us with the topics you are interested in through our opt-in contact form or by participating in surveys, such as criminal justice, democracy, energy and climate, healthcare, higher education, housing, immigration, and public finance.
- Marketing information – When you take an action on our Site or use our Services, such as by clicking on one of our ads, opening our emails, submitting a story or testimonial, signing up for a newsletter or other information, or using our templates to contact your legislator, we collect information about your marketing preferences and interests.
B. Information We Receive from Third Parties
We receive the following information about you from third parties and/or ANI partners that provide services or support our business operations.
- Legislative district – We receive information about your state and federal Legislative District, based on the ZIP code you provide us.
C. Information We Collect Automatically
We use software like Google Analytics on our Site which automatically collects the following information about you, your device, and your usage of our Site:
Website Usage information – We collect information about your usage and behavior on our Site and/or Services, such as your browsing history of the content you have visited on our Site, including how you were referred to our Site via other websites. We may also collect your IP address and related information.
- Device information – We collect information about the type of device you use when you access our Site including details of your computer or mobile, such as the unique device identifier, unique advertising identifier, and browser used to access our content.
How We Use Information
We limit our use of your personal information to the purposes described in this Notice. ANI uses collected information in the following ways:
Communicate with you about our Services – We use your contact information, professional information, interest areas, and marketing information together with information received from third parties to share educational information and call-to-action campaigns related to pending or current legislation, contact you about events, and send you updates or campaign engagement opportunities via email or SMS.
- Market and promote our Site and Services – We use your contact information, professional information, testimonial information, interest areas, and marketing information together with information received from third parties for our Marketing Activities according to your preferences, such as communicating with you via email or SMS with your consent, or to promote the Site and Services. We also use website usage information to infer interest areas based on your interactions with cause-related advertisements. Please see the “Your Privacy Choices and Rights” section below to learn how to manage your communication preferences.
- Provide our Site and Services – We use your contact information, professional information, interest areas, marketing information, website usage information, legislative district, device information, geolocation information, and anonymized statistical information to provide, operate, monitor, maintain and administer our Site and Services.
- Provide and improve necessary functionality – We use your website usage information, device information, geolocation information, and anonymized statistical information to provide the necessary functionality required for you to use our Site and Services.
- Promote the security of our Site and Services – We may use your contact information, professional information, interest areas, marketing information, website usage information, legislative district, device information, geolocation information, and anonymized statistical information to investigate and prevent malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, and enforce our terms and policies.
- Legal, regulatory, safety, and compliance purposes – We may use your contact information, professional information, interest areas, marketing information, website usage information, legislative district, device information, geolocation information, and anonymized statistical information for purposes of compliance with laws or regulations and to review compliance with applicable usage terms.
- Other purposes – We process your contact information, professional information, testimonial information, interest areas, marketing information, website usage information, legislative district, device information, geolocation information, and anonymized statistical information for other purposes about which we notify you in advance or for which we receive your consent (such as in the event of a corporate sale, merger, or acquisition).
How We Share Information
ANI shares your personal information with third parties as required by law and as part of our Services. We do not sell personal information to third parties for their independent business use. For example, we do not sell personal information to third parties for their own marketing and advertising purposes. We only share personal information on a need-to-know basis where appropriate safeguards and contractual arrangements are in place and as described below.
A. Third-Party Service Providers
We share your information with third-party service providers such as suppliers, vendors, business partners, advertising partners, and consultants to operate our business and provide you with our Site and Services. These third-party service providers require access to your information to support our operations and delivery of Services. The third parties that ANI shares your information with include:
B. Legal or Public Authorities
We only disclose personal information when disclosure is:
Where required or permitted by applicable law, ANI protects personal information by requesting protective orders or confidentiality agreements, redacting personal information from documents prior to production or disclosure, or other legally permissible means.
C. Corporate Affiliates
We may share or transfer information to any person or entity which directly or indirectly controls, is controlled by or is under common control with ANI, whether by ownership or otherwise (“Corporate Affiliate”), in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company. Any information relating to you that we provide to our Corporate Affiliates will be treated by those Corporate Affiliates in accordance with the terms of this Notice. Personal information may be part of the transferred assets. You may be notified thereafter of any such change in ownership or control through email or other means as applicable.
D. Corporate Partners
We engage with several partners, such as third-party advertising networks and integration services partners. We may share personal information with them to support our Services, such as sending email marketing campaigns. Please see our Cookie Notice for more information about how you can turn off tracking technologies for our advertising partners.
Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
How Long We Retain Information
We retain the information we have about you for only so long as it is relevant to fulfill our legal and contractual obligations; support business operations; develop our Site and Services; resolve disputes; enforce our rights; and for other legitimate business purposes described in this Notice, unless otherwise required by law. If you would like us to delete your information, please see “Your Privacy Choices and Rights” below.
How We Protect Your Information
We use reasonable and appropriate administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect the information that we have about you from loss, theft, and unauthorized use, access, modification, or destruction. We also require partners and third-party service providers acting on our behalf or with whom we share your information to maintain security measures in accordance with industry standards.
Notwithstanding our security safeguards, it is impossible to guarantee absolute security in all situations. If you have any questions about the security of our Site and Services, please contact us as described in the “Contact Us” section. For your own security, please do not send any confidential personal information to us outside of our Site or Services.
Third-Party Services, Applications, and Websites
Our Site and Services may contain links to other websites not operated or controlled by ANI. Certain third-party services, applications, or websites used to navigate to and from our Site and Services have separate user terms and privacy notices that are independent of this Notice.
ANI requires partners and third-party service providers acting on our behalf or with whom we share your information to provide appropriate security measures in accordance with industry standards and in compliance with this Notice, contractual obligations, their privacy and security obligations, and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures. However, we are not responsible for the content, accuracy or opinions expressed in such websites, or the privacy and data security practices of third parties outside of the personal information we receive from or transfer to them. We do not investigate, monitor, or check these websites for accuracy or completeness. We recommend carefully reviewing the terms and privacy notices of each third-party service, website, and/or application prior to use.
Cross-Border Transfer of Your Personal Information
ANI does not conduct business outside of the United States. If you access the Site or Services from outside of the United States, ANI may transfer Personal Information it collects to the United States and other countries where ANI or its business associates conduct business. We have safeguards in place to protect your Personal Information when it is transferred to other countries, where required by law. If you have any questions, please contact us at Kate@Actionnowinitiative.org.
Your Privacy Choices and Rights
A. Privacy Choices
You have certain choices and rights available when it comes to how we collect and use your personal information. Below is a summary of those choices and rights and how to exercise them.
- Opt-out of marketing communications: You may opt-out of receiving any marketing communications from us in the following way:
- Email: You may opt-out of email communications by clicking on “unsubscribe” at the bottom of any email. You may also respond to any automated email with “Unsubscribe” or related language and you will be unsubscribed from future communications from ANI.
B. Privacy Rights
Depending on where you are located, you may have certain rights in connection with your personal information that we obtain. These rights may include, but are not limited to:
You may exercise these rights, to the extent they apply to you, by contacting us at Kate@Actionnowinitiative.org.
We may need to collection additional information to verify your identity and residence, and we may not be able to accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
We fulfill requests within 45 days of receiving your request. Please note that your request may be limited in certain cases, for example if complying with your request would conflict with:
- Federal, state, or local law;
- Regulatory inquiries;
- Subpoenas; or
- Exercising or defending legal claims.
Minimum Age Requirements to Use Our Services
ANI’s Site and Services are not directed to children under 13. To use ANI’s Site and Services, you must be old enough to consent to the processing of your personal information in your jurisdiction. We do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your child has provided us with personal information, please contact us as described in the “Contact Us” section below. If we become aware that we have collected personal information from anyone under the age of 13 without verification or parental consent, we take steps to remove such information.
Changes to Our Privacy Notice
We periodically review and update this Notice to describe new Services or changes to our practices. You can determine when this Notice was last revised by referring to the “Updated” date at the top of this Notice. We encourage you to review the Notice whenever you interact with us to stay informed about our privacy practices and the ways that you can help protect your privacy.
If we make significant changes to this Notice, we will notify you through a prominent notice on our Services or via email address or phone number you have provided. If you do not agree with the privacy practices disclosed in the Notice, we recommend you stop using our Site and Services.
To submit questions about this Notice or to update or request changes to your personal information, please contact us at Kate@Actionnowinitiative.org.